Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Challenge 165 - Boxing Day!


In Canada today we celebrate Boxing Day...


Despite its name, Boxing Day, which is celebrated on December 26 in Great Britain, has nothing to do with pugilistic competition. Nor is it a day for people to return unwanted Christmas presents. While the exact origins of the holiday are obscure, it is likely that Boxing Day began in England during the Middle Ages.
Some historians say the holiday developed because servants were required to work on Christmas Day, but took the following day off. As servants prepared to leave to visit their families, their employers would present them with gift boxes.

So I am asking everyone to put a box on your project... or a square!  Just a nice easy challenge for this day of unwinding or crazy shopping as some like to do.




5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the fab challenge, I hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just seen the challenge via Cotnobs blog so I thought I would give it a go. Thank you for giving me the opportunity. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added my card===have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun idea for a challenge! Thanks for the interesting info on the origins of Boxing day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the television image. Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete